Friday, April 2, 2010

Field Trip!!

Today we took our Kindergarten students on a field trip to learn about safety.

We arrived at school at 9am and waited around for all the kids to arrive. Then we herded them into the buses and headed out to the place. Im not real sure where we went, but Id love to find it again as it had a ton of cool buildings next door. Great photo opportunities!

Once we arrived at the center, we immediately took the kids into an Earthquake Simulation chamber. They loved this and were begging to practice more. We put them on the simulator sitting nicely at a table when the room began to shake. The kids had to turn the gas on the stove off, then open the closet door while others huddled under the desk. This was hilarious to watch as the kids faces were priceless!



After the Earthquake, we took the kids across the hall and put them in a wind tunnel. The kids were able to hold onto metal bars so that they didnt blow away. I wasnt so lucky... Good thing that Im a little heavier because it knocked me back a couple feet! The kids were running for their lives to get out of the wind and curl up behind my co-teacher Emily.



We then headed to fire safety. The kids got to learn how to use a fire extinguisher and practiced putting out flames on a large screen. As I was taking pictures, one kid thought itd be funny to spray me with the extinguisher... needless to say he left th day with a ton of extra homework! Not really, we dont give any homework to the Kindergarteners... My job is so easy!



We then took the kids to a movie room where they shut off the lights and they watched a 15 minute movie over something ridiculous. Barely even worth mentioning.



After the movie, we went to a smoke room where we climbed through a playground type setup and slid down a long slide. At the bottom, the room was filled with smoke and most of my kids immediately started crying and trying to run up the slide to get out. I had to convince them to fight through their fears and cover their mouth and nose, get low, and find the exit. It didnt help that I had 4 kids grabbing my legs so I couldnt walk, and 2 more holding my hands so that I couldnt feel my way out. Quite the experience and I couldnt help but chuckle...



Thats all of the field trip and it was a very easy day. I love my job as it is SO easy! No lesson planning, very little grading, and the kids are quite smart. The hours are long, but I only teach about 30 hours a week so I have a lot of time to read, go online, listen to music, nap, learn more Korean, etc. This job is pretty much babysitting compared to the past teaching jobs Ive had, and they werent too difficult either!



Anyways, sorry I havent updated the blog lately but time kind of slips away from you when youre adapting to everything being new and strange. Im loving every second of it though...

2 comments: